Universitas Negeri Padang (UNP) is one of the oldest universities in Indonesia. UNP firstly established as a Teacher Education College in Batusangkar, West Sumatera, Indonesia, on September 1, 1954. The Teacher Education College then became the Institute of Teacher Training and Education (IKIP Padang). In 1999, its status changed as a University with a greater mandate which also led to non-education study programs.
On its development, UNP has focused consistently on its main mission in education while also to produce other professional fields. UNP is ready to set its vision to become a leading university based on devotion to God, the Almighty, and to compete globally in various fields of education, knowledge, technology, sports, language and arts in Southeast Asia until 2020. UNP aims to do as a superior center in various fields of education, knowledge, technology, sports, language and art.
Faculty of Education (FIP) is a part of UNP's historical development where it was the only department that was established in the College of Teacher Education in Batusangkar which later became a faculty under IKIP in 1963.
Making a superior institution in the development of education by producing educators and professional education staff based on devotion to God, the Almighty.
In accordance with the vision, FIP has several missions as follows:
1. Managing education including educators and education personnel at the level of service and in the service of inspirational values on democratic productivity characterized by lifelong education.
2. Educating students through learning activities that include learning to know, learning to do, learning to be something, learning to live socially, and learning to be devoted to God, the Almighty.
3. Developing scientific education in all fields, levels, and types of education.
4. Conducting scientific work and community service activities in education and learning practices in all fields, levels, and types of education.
5. Conducting cooperation with related institutions in various forms of activities and education levels in order to improve the quality of human resources and facilities in the field of education.
Human Resources and Facilities:
The teaching staffs of the faculty have qualification of education in the level of Master (S2) and Doctoral (S3) who graduated from domestic and abroad. Some employees have special expertise and have gained a reputation at the national and regional levels. Faculties have air conditioners rooms, Wi-Fi to support student activities, libraries, computer laboratories, and other laboratories such as labor of counseling, labor of PAUD, and labor of micro teaching. The faculty is located at the Air Tawar, Limau Manis, Bandar Buat, and Bukittinggi.