The logo of Universitas Negeri Padang consists of elements that absolute and relative which is implies:
- Absolute shape (circle) means University always stood firmly on scientific and also struggling and thriving based on the truth.
- Shape relative (other forms) means the university has always received the truth from wherever it comes from, as well as developing a mission in accordance with the task in hand.
- The circle represents the bore University human resources faithful and devoted, academic ability and professional quality based on Pancasila and the 1945 Constitution.
- The wings represent the University of dynamic, creativity, and innovative in carrying out its mission.
- Three books were composed tiered symbolizes Tri Dharma Perguruan Tinggi.
- Fire lit pedestal symbolizes the intellectual and enlightened life and development of society, the nation, and the state.
The logo of Universitas Negeri Padang consists of some colours which mean:
- Black for integrity
- Blue for profound and coolness
- Yellow for greatness and majesty ideals
- Red for the dynamic, creative, innovative and always open to renewal
- White for purity and sincerity