Universitas Negeri Padang (UNP) is one of the oldest universities in Indonesia. UNP firstly established as a Teacher Education College in Batusangkar, West Sumatera, Indonesia, on September 1, 1954. The Teacher Education College then became the Institute of Teacher Training and Education (IKIP Padang). In 1999, its status changed as a University with a greater mandate which also led to non-education study programs.
On its development, UNP has focused consistently on its main mission in education while also to produce other professional fields. UNP is ready to set its vision to become a leading university based on devotion to God, the Almighty, and to compete globally in various fields of education, knowledge, technology, sports, language and arts in Southeast Asia until 2020. UNP aims to do as a superior center in various fields of education, knowledge, technology, sports, language and art.
Making a faculty that has a strong academic culture and strong enthusiasm to be the best in the field of mathematics and natural sciences and also creating professional mathematics and natural science teaching staff.
In accordance with its vision, this faculty has several missions as follows:
1. Producing graduates who have academic and professional abilities to technology in the field of mathematics and natural sciences education.
2. Creating an academic atmosphere which is responsive, dynamic, and proactive for change in the implementation of three compulsory tasks in higher education (education, research, and community service).
3. Providing education service to community members who want to study in the field of mathematics and science
4. Producing graduates who can utilize knowledge for themselves, their families, and communities who were also can create some jobs fields.
5. Producing graduates who can become qualified human beings in the community.
6. Implementing the broader collaboration with outside participants in order to develop the quality of the faculty, the research, and community service.
Human Resources and Facilities:
The teaching staffs of the faculty have educational qualifications ranging from masters to doctoral degrees whose are graduated from domestic and foreign. Some teaching staff also has special expertise and good reputation in national, regional, and international level. The Faculty of Mathematics and Sciences provides classrooms that use air conditioning, computer laboratories, and other laboratories such as labour of physics, labour of biology, chemical laboratories, teaching micro laboratories, Wi-Fi libraries and so on in order to support students.